Here is the recipe for the salted caramel pear butter. I assume it would be delicious with apples also, but I had pears beggin’ to be eaten. Such is life.
Use it as an offering or stuff it in your face. You know the drill. (Also sorry about the shitty picture. I had to move right on to making pumpkin pies and, yes, cooking is my therapy for being an unemployed mess).
12 big ass pears or 16 medium pears
1 c. of packed brown sugar (or more for taste. 1 c. is pretty sweet)
4 T lemon juice divided into 2 T each
1/4 c. apple cider or apple juice
1 T nutmeg
1/2 t salt
1) Wash and cut your pears into 1/2” cubes discarding the stems and cores but leaving on the peel.
2) Toss with 2 T of lemon juice as you cut them and add them to a pot to keep them from browning.
3) Add apple cider or juice and heat on high for 15 min or until all pears and very soft and juices are at the same level as the top of the pears.
4) Let cool a bit and run through a food mil, blender or food processor.
5) Return to heat and simmer.
6) While pear puree is simmering heat brown sugar over high heat until it starts to melt. AS SOON as most of the sugar is melting pull it off the heat and stir like crazy or it will burn. It will make a huge glob of caramel. sprinkle on the nutmeg and salt and keep stirring and you drop it into the pear mix. It will sputter so be careful!
7) Continue to simmer your pear and caramel mix for another hour or until the mix become thicker than applesauce and a dark brown color.
8) Remove from heat and process for 10 min in a hot water bath to can, keep in fridge for up to 3 weeks or freeze.